Geena Tommasi, BFA, LCSW
I come to the work with a professional background in clinical social work, the visual, written (SLAM), and performing arts, social activism, and professional licensed massage therapy.
***That said, to my mind and without a doubt, my best and most important learning has come from simply living this life, in all of its beautiful imperfection.
- B.A. Psychology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT, 1985
- Master's in Social Work, Columbia University School of Social Work, New York, NY, 1987
- Program Completion, Swedish Institute of Massage Therapy, New York, NY (12 years licensed in NY and RI - no longer practicing), 1995
- Certification, "Expressive Arts Educational Facilitator", Expressive Arts Institute, Holistic Counseling Post-Graduate Studies, Salve Regina University, Newport, RI, 2007
- B.A. Studio Art (metalsmithing/drawing/painting), Rhode Island College, Providence, RI, 2009
Other Relevant Studies:
Over 30 years of continuing education trainings in psychological theory, mental health counseling, clinical subject matter, and practice methodology, a sampling of which includes:
- "Brief Solution-Oriented Therapy" with Dennis Bumgarner, ACSW, LCSW, 2017
- Immigrant & Refugee, Cultural Diversity and Freedom from Stereotypes" training with the Healthcare Training Institute, 2016
- "Women of Resilience Conference" presented by "Creativity and Madness of Santa Fe", 2016
- "Beyond 'How Does That Make You Feel'" (Narrative Therapy Training) with Don McAvinchey, LISW, 2015
- "Zen Brain, the Neuroscience and Path of Transforming Addiction" with Roshi Joan Halifax, Ph.D, Al Kazniak, Ph.D, David Loy, Ph.D, Lawrence Barsalou, Ph.D, and Do-On Robert Thomas at Upaya Zen Center, 2013
- "The Heart of Truth: Radically Practicing Inside the World" with Reverend John Dear and Roshi Joan Halifax, Ph.D at Upaya Zen Center, 2013
- "Trauma Resiliency Model" with Trauma Resource Institute, 2013
- "Food For Thought: How Nutrients Affect Mental Health and the Brain" with Merrily Kuhn, Ph.D, 2012
- "The Neuroscience of Trauma and EMDR for Stabilization" with Linda Curran, MA, MPH, LPC, CACD, 2011
- "The EMDR 8-Stage Protocol for Reprocessing Traumatic Memories" with Linda Curran, MA, MPH, LPC, CACD, 2011
- "Seeking Safety Implementation Training" with DATA (The Drug and Alcohol Treatment Association of Rhode Island), 2009
- "Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Training" with The Providence Center for Counseling and Psychiatric Services, 2001
- "Obesity and Eating Disorders Studies" with DATA of Rhode Island, 2000
- "12 Core Functions of the Substance Abuse Counselor" Program with DATA of Rhode Island, 2000
- "New England School of Addiction Studies Conference", Eastern Connecticut State University, 2000
- "Utilizing Stages of Change - Motivational Interviewing" at DATA of Rhode Island, 2000
- Advanced Creativity Coaching Program with Eric Maisel, Ph.D., widely regarded as the foremost creativity coach in the United States, Completion 2017
- Continuing education program at RISD (Rhode Island School of Design) in Providence, RI focusing on drawing and painting, the arts and healing, and ceramics
- Scholarship recipient for the "Social Action and Crafts" session in drawing/painting/multi-media at the Penland School of Crafts, Penland, NC
- SLAM creator, director, writer and performer of "Your Silence Will Not Protect You", Providence, RI.
- Intensive study program in "Trauma Touch", therapeutic touch for trauma survivors, at the Colorado School of Healing Arts, Lakeville, CO
- Somatic studies participant at the "Sixth International Somatics Congress", San Francisco, CA
- Certification in massage for pregnancy and birth with both Elaine Stillerman of "Mother Massage" and Niara Healing Arts, both in New York, NY (honored to assist in multiple birth experiences as a professional massage therapist)
- 5 year member of a Vipassana Meditation community in Brooklyn, NY, and current member of Upaya Zen Center in Santa Fe, NM.
- Studies in theatre and performance art at HB Studios, Pearl Repertory Company, Michael Howard Studios, New York, NY and with the Williamstown Theatre Festival in Williamstown, MA, 1987-1993
- Leader (1993) and participant (2014) of the Julia Cameron group curriculum entitled, "The Artist's Way".